Pages

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Darby Wind Caves and a Cross Country Drive


In order to get all our stuff down to Florida without paying an astronomical price, we decided it would work best if Charly sold his truck, then drove the moving truck there with the Vibe in tow. His dad went with him but there was an insurance miscommunication and Charly ended up doing the entire drive himself...about 40 hours in a moving van in three days. I wanted to go with him and take a pit stop to see some friends in Texas and was SO excited... until we found out that we couldn't all fit in a moving van. Those things are just not built for carseats. So I stayed behind to take care of Em, some house things, and get in a hike as well. Em and I did Darby wind caves and on our way up ran into some friends visiting from California. They were on their way down and I could hardly believe the coincidence. We chatted for a bit- they gave me some advice about not getting tricked into taking a wrong part of the path which I totally did, but thanks to them I recognized it pretty soon.


The wind caves and the whole hike is gorgeous, but I was kind of bummed I didn't actually get to go in them. You have to climb up a wet mossy section to get into them and I didn't feel comfortable enough to do the last 3 or 4 feet of the 15 foot section of it- you're literally climbing up it, it's slippery, and I had a toddler in a huge child carrier on my back. My legs already felt wobbly from doing the entire hike without any rests since Eliza gets cranky when she's taken in and out of the child carrier and it kind of killed me and then I had to just turn around and go back. Usually when I do hikes I just go for it until I get to the top and then take a long rest, let Eliza get her wiggles out, and then hike down. This time though there wasn't a good place to let her be free at the top so I did the entire hike up and down with out stopping for a rest. Needless to say by the time I got back to the truck I was ready for an extended tropical vacation. Instead, we had the Hill Reunion to take care of first and then, finally, Florida.


Charly got all our stuff down there and unpacked and then flew back to be with family for the week and then we all took a redeye flight home. We made sure to get to the airport a little bit early and spend time with his parents who met us there, and then flew from IDA to SlC, then a three hour layover, then SLC to MCO. The entire layover I just sat and watched Charly and Eliza play, running up and down the sloping airport floor and wooing every stranger in sight. At one point a lady working a store gave her a saltwater taffy and Eliza ran around with it in her fist sooooo happy. She didn't even know what it was until, eventually, she bit threw the wrapper and got a taste of that sugary goodness. Since we didn't want her to have sugar that late Charly took it away and immediately she turned around and ran to the little store, which was now closed, and put her face and hands up against the glass window.


We also gave her some Horchata at the beginning of the three hour layover and she became a horchata monster! She's been especially wiggly during diaper changes and she needed one bad. We tried the family bathroom several times and it was always locked so we pulled out the diaper mat to do it in our little corner of the airport and I put some horchata in a sippy cup to keep her entertained but she was not having it. She refused to believe there was horchata in there and just kept pointing at the Cafe Rio cup and screaming no matter what we did. I literally unscrewed the sippy cup and tried to dump it in her mouth to get her to understand, then I poured the horchata into the sippy cup in front of her but she was crazed. Finally, like good parents, we gave in and let her take it from the Cafe Rio cup.


People probably think we are way to strict on sugar with Eliza but she gets crazy on the tiniest amounts. We gave her two jelly beans the other day and she just became so wired. Then, for the next couple of days, she gets really whiny and demanding whenever we eat something she doesn't get, like she just has to try it to find out if its the sugary goodness we've been holding out on her. Anyways, long tangent over. We are safely in Florida now, having our "extended tropical vacation" where you still have to cook and go to work but where's there's a dip in the pool at the end of the day and surfing on the weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment