Pages

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Zion National Park

Driving out of Vegas where it took forty minutes to go one block was like stepping out of the city and into the backcountry. So relaxing, for you mind and body. It's a short drive, so after we stopped at Whole Foods, where my dad promptly paid for Jared and I to buy the most delicious salads, gluten free foods, and overpriced candies, it didn't take long for the beauty to set in. I mean, all these photos are from my phone, and a lot of them are through the car window, and they still look stunning. I'll split them up by day. Here's the day we got to the hotel. We took our stuff in, then went to find information on hiking trails.


It started to drizzle and then rain, which turned the sky dark while the sun set and casted its light perfectly onto the mountains.

See what I mean. As we drove in I told my dad "who needs to go to New Zealand when you have this?" because, in case you didn't know, a trip to New Zealand/Australia is in the works. Sort of...until I saw this place and now I really have no craving to travel so far for what is right in my back yard.


The next day we hiked Hidden Canyon. Think carved steps up the mountain and skinny parts of the trail with steep cliff faces where you hold onto chains for safety. After that it leads into the canyon and you have to do a bit of scrambling and bouldering. We turned back because some people in the group weren't as familiar with the rock as I am, but next time I'm looking forward to delving deeper into the canyon.


Then the next day we hiked the narrows, which we have no photos of because you basically hike through muddy water (sometimes your wading and scrambling up where the water gushes over the rock) the entire time and none of us wanted to risk getting our stuff wet. After that we went to a few art galleries. There was this one where all the photos were done on 8x10 color photography and then printed in the darkroom. They were some of the most stunning photos I have ever seen, and if I had $32,000 I would have totally gone for one. I spent the rest of the night relaxing on the couch/patio in front of our hotel room while texting everyone about how gorgeous this place was and how we are definitely coming back. I also had this conversation with Dean and took a needed selfie. I can be easily amused, at times. By the way, it's gone. All that hair of mine- I had it cut off yesterday to above my shoulders!


*Sidenote: the narrows isn't nearly as pretty as Hidden Canyon. Maybe it's because the water was so murky from rain that it took more time to place each step then enjoy the place, but I went up with my parents and back by myself and at least four people stopped me on the way back and were all "How much fuuurther does this go? Is it worth it?" Really, their words.

The next day it was off to Salt Lake for Jenna and Stephen's wedding and then home where we went rafting and cliff jumping with my family and then said goodbye to them a few days later.

No comments:

Post a Comment