Pages

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Winter is Approaching

Fall has made it's way here, the leaves are crunchy and brown and I need a longsleeve tee and fleece to make the twenty minute walk to class from the Sled Shed to the Hinckley

Last weekend (September 14) Jenna, Stephen, Charly, and I left for Maple Canyon Utah. The rock there is cobblestone and some of the most interesting rock I've climbed on. I worked an 11c which became my knew favorite route, and hey, I even took a couple of falls! I also bashed my scar tissue open from my fourth of July mountain biking wreck. One slip against the rock and the whole thing peeled off like grated cheese. It was one of those gushers taken on the last route of the day which was a mere 5.9. What's odd is that the the rope burn I got working on a 13d created more pain than the day I wrecked my knee in the first place. Nevertheless, I smacked that skin back on my knee and bandaged it shut. Oh, and about that 13d... I made it two bolts. Don't get too excited guys. Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

On a harder note,
Charly, Joe, Jake McNair and friends hiked the Grand the weekend before that. I'm just not ready for that stuff quite yet.
Photobucket Photobucket
Like brother, like brother.

Some road biking stats:
I've been on a couple of really short rides I'm too lazy to post, so here's my long one. Done the Saturday Charly did the Grand.

September 8
Where to: Out near R mountain
Dist: 14.81
Av Speed: 14.2
Max: 23.2
Time: 1:2:34

Some day before that Charly and I did the loop out around R mountain. Here's that:
September 1Where to: Loop around R mountain
Dist: 25.09
Av Speed: 15.3
Max: 26.4
Time: 1:37:14

There was a pretty hard head wind and side wind and I drafted off of Charles the entire time, but coming back was extremely enjoyable. Especially going 24 easy on a slight incline.

Yesterday Jenna, Stephen, and I went up to Blackfoot to can peaches and finish my quilt. Then we climbed at the playground for the first time. It was most likely the hottest day I've ever climbed and therefore I climbed one 5.9 that felt like a 5.11 as the basalt scorched my hands and wasps buzzed by. Even Maycee took a swim in the river. After that we did stadium stairs, ran half a mile, lunges, jump squats, abs, and eights chased by gator jacks. Like the title, winter is approaching and after watching That's it That's all and Art of Flight I am determined to get stronger for backcountry snowboarding, and now I have the sore muscles to prove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment