Pages

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Enjoying the Down Time


Every winter I get so stir crazy. It's not the cold I mind so much, and I think I a lot of people will agree, that it is the darkness. It's dark when you drive to work, and dark when you drive back, and it's such a big part of Rexburg that I don't bat an eye when the man behind the counter at the hardware store sparks a conversation about it without pretense (last year). Needless to say, I live for our Saturdays, whatever it is that we end up doing. Even if it's just a ride on the snowmobile around Mesa Falls and some tries at boon docking it all by myself, they are good Saturdays.


In the summer, it's the opposite. Charly gets off work at five and we immediately pack our things- if I haven't done it already- and head out to a crag, hit the trails, or dawn our clip in shoes and spandex and go for a ride on the road bikes. There's maybe time to sneak in an episode of whatever Netflix series we're on to wind down at the end of the day, but we're always out doing something.


But in the fall, it's different. We've become expended. I know I'm ready for more adventures, but as it starts getting dark sooner and a bit brisker, there isn't time to go out. So we work at the shop for a bit longer after Chuck gets off work, make dinner, and retire to the couch to watch what the world would deem an absurd amount of tv every night until the snow sticks and we can truly look forward to going snowboarding. Charly draws up bike park plans to build next summer while I research complete nonsense. The truth is, I don't care that that's what our nights look like these days. I'm loving the off time, the time to give my body and mind a rest while the weather transitions us from one sport to another. We won't have periods of time that are so relaxed and at ease throughout our whole lives, and so I soak up where we are in life.


Anyways, I took those photos on my Holga a little while ago. The second one is a double exposure.

No comments:

Post a Comment